As always I would like to start this tag with several carrds that contain very important information about the injustices and resources to help.
- https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ has a lot of information and resources and is updated regularly! It also has info on Palestine, the Junk Terror Bill and Hong Kong. This has been updated to include info and resources about the Yemen crisis.
- https://abolish-ice.carrd.co/ – In case anyone forgot there are still children and adults in cages in America. These people are being treated worse than animals and it needs to stop.
- You can also go to Change.org, most countries have their own petition site linked to their government or send emails and letters to your representatives. As someone from the UK, I know for a fact that your local MP’s have their email information readily available.
I saw this video on Ms Richards Reads and since I’ve quite like Harry Styles’ Fine Line album, I thought this tag would be pretty fun to do!
Each prompt correlates to a song title from the album, so I have linked each title to the song on YouTube if you’d like to listen to them 😀
1. Golden: A new to you book or series; “The Honeymoon Phase”
I haven’t started any new series recently, so I have no idea what to answer for this… I suppose I could say The Broken Earth Trilogy; N.K. Jemisin. I gave The Fifth Season 5 stars because it was incredibly well written and crafted. I enjoyed the characters, the story, the timelines and how they all connected.
I have yet to carry on simply because I’m a little scared that I won’t like it as much and I don’t know if I could even make my brain work enough to take in the complexities of these books at the moment 😅
2. Watermelon Sugar: Your favorite smutty book
I don’t really read smut that often, however, the two series that come to mind are the Guild Hunter series; Nalini Singh. This has some very steamy moments and the characters are well written, and the plot is pretty interesting concerning the archangels and the territories they rule over.
The other is the Women of the Underworld series; Kelley Armstrong. I’ve only read the first book (but multiple times) and while some of the smut is questionable, the plot is really fast paced and fun.
3. Adore You: A happy, upbeat book/character that you adore
The two I could thing of are both from graphic novels/manga.
Alice Oseman’s Heartstopper volume 3 was adorable and fun, while also dealing with some more serious topics. Charlie is a giant, happy and precious baby. And the entire cast of characters are great!
The second is of course Ouran High School Host Club! Bisco Hatori is so funny and this series brings me so much joy. I love all my idiots – of course Tamaki has top spot as main idiot – and these characters are so ridiculous, but also so heartwarming and I would highly recommend this series if you want to laugh and smile.
4. Lights Up: A book that let you know it is ok to be yourself/led to self acceptance
I mean, most books hold this rhetoric of “accept your flaws”, “it’s okay to be yourself” etc. And while I love that for characters and other readers to connect with, I don’t think I’ve ever really felt that…
Rep is important in books and there have been times where I’ve been happy to see aspects of myself in characters, but I read mostly fantasy/urban fantasy and I’m not going to be fighting some creature or evil villain any time soon 😅
I will say, I just finished A Song of Wraith And Ruin; Roseanne A. Brown and one of the main characters – Malik – suffers from anxiety and panic attacks. It was nice to read a fantasy in which these things were actually named.
And while Mackenzie Lee has shown herself to be problematic, Percy has been the only character I’ve ever read that has epilepsy and it was really nice to see.
And while I have read Notes on a Nervous Planet; Matt Haig, I have an awful memory so I don’t really remember what he said 😅 I should probs reread it at some point! I do follow him on Twitter.
5. Cherry: A book that has stuck with you
Books that have stuck with me because of the time I read them and who I read them with (my mum):
- Vampirates; Justin Somper
- Skulduggery Pleasant; Derek Landy (I have a quote from book 9 tattooed on me!)
- The Darren Shan Saga; Darren Shan
- Maximum Ride; James Patterson (I’m only counting the first 3 books because after that this series goes downhill fast!)
Books that have stayed with me because of the emotional impact of the story (no particular order):
- The Book Thief; Markus Zusak
- The Diary of A Young Girl; Anne Frank
- The Miniaturist; Jessie Burton
- The Illuminae Files; Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
- The Magicians Guild Trilogy; Trudi Canavan
- Of Mice & Men; John Steinbeck
- Noughts & Crosses; Malorie Blackman
I’m going to stop here, otherwise I’m going to keep listing books that have emotionally impacted me!
And then of course, Pride & Prejudice; Jane Austen. This book has stayed with me for over ten years and I continue to return to it for comfort and the feeling of safety.
6. Falling: A book that broke your heart
… Okay, so see above 😅
7. To Be So Lonely: Favorite flawed character
AIDAN from The Illuminae Files is hands down one of my favourite characters and is also incredibly flawed. I know it isn’t human, so can I really say it’s flawed when every decision it made was objective (questionable) and for the better of the majority?
I mean, I’m still going to do it anyway! AIDAN was incredibly well written and multi faceted, but it’s ultimate core was what made it flawed when faced with decisions that concerned morality.
8. She: Ideal book boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other
I don’t really think about this often, but they fictional for a reason and again I don’t read much contemporary. For this reason, I’m also going to be somewhat selfish because this is delulu hours apparently 😂
I’m going back to Ouran High School Host Club. Tamaki is a lot, but he would do anything to make you happy. He opens Haruhi up to new experiences and is always beside her when she needs him. I just love him so much! I need to reread this series so badly!
9. Sunflower, Vol. 6: A book you associate with happy memories
This is a bit repetitive, but Skulduggery Pleasant; Derek Landy and Vampirates; Justin Somper. I read these books aloud to my mum when I was about 11-12 and they were happy times ♥
10. Canyon Moon: A book that feels like home/a nostalgic read
More repetition, but who am I if I don’t answer Pride & Prejudice?
11. Treat People With Kindness: A book with an important message
I don’t like questions like this, because I don’t know what important message people need or care about. Plus, most books have important messages depending on the reader…
The one that comes to mind right now considering the important Black Lives Matter Movement is Black Enough. This is a collection of short stories edited by Ibi Zoboi. They reinforce the idea of black joy. It showcases the differences and struggles of being Black but allows the characters to just live normal lives and be happy.
12. Fine Line: A book you love with a relationship that you don’t like or with a love/hate relationship
I really like characters to be in love, so I jump on the bandwagon pretty easily normally. However, Scythe… Neal Shusterman didn’t need to wedge a romance into this story. Platonic love is just as valid and would have made the relationship between Citra and Rowan a lot more bareable.
Most books I read start with the characters not liking each other 😂
Thanks for reading! I hope you’re having a lovely day and staying safe ♥